Search This Blog

Sunday, January 24, 2010

What's inside?



Last year we went to Mexico for the day. We did not stay overnight and we were very well aware that the border towns were having security issues. I was only moderately happy about being there as I knew that there was some danger. But then again as someone who likes to take pictures, putting yourself in uncomfortable positions is what being a photographer is all about. At least if you are taking pictures other than weddings and birthdays.

When we crossed the border, it was very apparent we were welcome, but only to a degree. My wife's uncle was with us and he not only speaks fluent Spanish, he knew how to work his way around the town. This was not our first time there, but it was the first time I knew we were being watched---both as outsiders and tourists. As we walked around the town I saw something I had not seen in previous trips over the border; there was military all around and the machine guns they were carrying let us know they were not there for show. I didn't take too many photos of the military, but I did take some. It was the look that I "thought" they were giving me that convinced me that asking them to pose was probably not a good idea.

If you have been to a border town then you know there are some very poor people who live there. When you look at them you know they are only asking for help---they are not bad people. Life has just dealt them a bad hand. What amazes me is some of the products they sell there---whether it's the latest movie being bootlegged or pharmaceuticals that are available just by walking into the store, they sell it and it seems that a lot of the vendors have the same products. I have never purchased anything from one of these street vendors, but we have bought some souvenirs. I am the proud owner of a jeep type vehicle that's made of very heavy car parts. Why did I buy it? Because I knew I didn't want the bootlegged movie or drugs. it's very cool actually and it was very reasonably priced.

Americans are welcome at these stores because they have the money to spend; however, if you are someone from the town you are not welcome into many of them

The photo above is of a little girl who is wondering what's going on in the store we were in. She was hanging around to see what was inside as it is very likely she has never been inside. Very sad when you think she has as much of a right to be there, but all she can do is wonder what she's missing. Hopefully one day she will be able to find out.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment