Search This Blog

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Life off the highway.


If you have travelled along America's highways you sometimes will see things that are out of the ordinary. Whether it's a hawk sitting on a sign, smoke in the distance from burning leaves, or a barn that sets off the road...traveling these roads allows you to zone out and zero into surroundings you might not see in a big city.

Over the past 30 years I have travelled the highways throughout the Midwest,I have seen a lot while driving. I have been in a storm that spun a car completely around in the median, had a highway close down because of a horrible accident where the truck actually melted under extreme heat from burning fuel, and have witnessed a sports car pass me at more than 120 MPH. I was doing 80 and it was past me in a moment. I saw the car coming up from behind and within a moment is was well past me.

One of my favorite things to do when I am traveling is to get off the beaten track or in this case the well worn highway. By taking an exit and then traveling a mile or so you find more than you ever thought you would.

The photo above was one I never thought I would see. I was in Amish country and in the distance was a buggy and large clouds. It was one of those photos you can only wish for. Because the buggy was moving away I had only a few moments to capture it. It's one of the benefits of looking off the road when everyone is traveling down it.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment