Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

NBA Art.


I am not a big fan of tattoos, but that’s just my opinion.

The other night I went to a freshman high school basketball game and one of the players on the opposing team had several tattoos on his arms. One appeared to be a scripture of some sort, however I was not close enough to see it. But I have to wonder what happens if they spell a word wrong? I should have taken a picture, but didn’t. (I know I am as surprised as you probably are at this moment.)

Although well aware that tattoos are very much in vogue, I have explained to my kids that if they make the decision to decorate their bodies with tattoos they are on their own from that point on. My reasoning is fairly sound---I told them this is a drawing line. When kids under the age of 18 make life-long decisions I feel it is best the parent be involved. We’re not talking about what jeans to buy or hairstyle to wear---we are talking about something that has the potential to be with you for the next 60 to 70 years depending on how long you live.

When I was growing up tattoos were not something you saw often when you went to the fair, amusement park or sporting events. Maybe they were there, perhaps I didn’t notice them. But when I now go to any of the above venues, I am a minority---that’s the way it goes.

I actually have had many conversations with people who have tattoos and their reasoning for having them is often quite sound. Sometimes it’s in honor of a deceased friend or member of the family---or a particular passion they have and know it will always be a part of their lives. That’s cool. But when you have skeletons, dragons and spider webs all over your neck face and arms, I don’t know, it just seems over the top. I also have to wonder, “How do they get a job?”

There is one profession where tattoos are very much a part of the look---the NBA. When Dennis Rodman played for the Chicago Bulls he was probably one of the most “decorated’ players in the league. Combine that with orange, green and checkerboard hair, and you had a very interesting look. Players such as Allen Iverson, LeBron James and countless other stars have their dedications, feelings and loved ones exposed to millions of eyes who watch them play. Perhaps that’s one of the reasons I was never very good in basketball. Who knows?

The photo above was taken at Bulls game last season; there was something about the tattoos that caught my attention. I think it had to do with the progression from one player to the other----one had a small number, the other more, and the last one, well a bunch. I have no idea what their artwork is symbolic of, but I am sure it is something they are proud enough to wear for the rest of their lives.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment