Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

What would our forefather's say?


When Betsy Ross was sewing the flag in 1777, I doubt she would have had any idea that the creation would show up on the bottom of pants, as rags worn the hair, or even on doorways.

I happen to love the flag; to me it is one of the most beautiful creations I have seen. Based upon the number of photos I have taken of the "Stars and Stripes" it would be hard not to figure this out. I think one of the reasons I love the flag so much is because of my favorite holiday---the 4th of July. Even when I see the flag from a distance, I will stop and look---or better yet, when I am driving and I see an enormous flag, I am transfixed. The way it flows in the wind and hangs during the times when it is waiting for wind to unravel it.

When I was at the Smithsonian Institution a few years back, I saw the flag as it was being repaired. It was very apparent they knew how painstakingly accurate the entire process needed to be. I mean it is the flag after all. Of what I recall the flag took up and entire room, was pretty much air tight and was not touched by human hands. It was quite a process.

The photo above was taken outside of Galena, IL. I was driving and saw the flag on the door of a house---I was both moved by it and kind of ashamed. I see the flag as one of the most important symbols of America---it's not something that we can take lightly. Next time you see the red, white and blue and take a moment and think about what it has done for you and the freedom it presents. You will know why it should not be on a door or the bottom of your pants.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment