Search This Blog

Sunday, January 31, 2010

They laughed when I sat down to play.


Many years ago an advertisement for the U.S. School of Music ran in newspapers throughout America. It was written by a very famous copywriter named John Caples. It was all about teaching people to play the piano and how shocked those in the audience would be when,in fact, the person could actually play. I never responded to that advertisement based upon my musical ability; another reason might have been it was written in 1925.

Having an ear for music is a true gift. It's not that I am incapable of appreciating music, I just can't play it---no matter what Mr. Caples wrote more than 85 years ago. It's when you see a young child sit down and play, you know there is something in them. We all have our talents.

Yesterday one of our daughters had a cello recital. Not one where a number of musician's played, but more of a cello critique for a limited number of students. The man who did the critiquing was very kind, soft spoken, and had one incredible ear for music. When the kids would play, he would write down if there was a single bar, note, or moment of timing off. Not that he was being overly critical, he wanted them to learn. It was really impressive to see him listen, write and then finally give his point of view in a matter of moments. Through it all he did something that was most impressive---he would critique their performance and no matter what, provide compliments. That's how you get students, no matter what age, to want to continue on.

My daughter really surprised me with her performance; she memorized the piece and played what I thought was flawless piece. I know she made some small errors, but for what I was expecting, she blew me away. The next group up, which were comprised of probably 15 kids, played the music from the DeBeer's commercials. (If you have seen their commercials, you will recognize the music.) That's the best way to explain it. They were outstanding and as I heard the parents talking, they had practiced on a very limited basis together. The man who was doing the critiquing again provided incredible insight on their performance. How he heard what he said he heard, I have no idea. If there was anything off, or out of balance, I had no idea. But as he provided his thinking he did it with compliments and suggestions---not only did the performers appreciate the feedback, the parents did as well. Unlike many people who critique, and destroy the confidence of students, this man raised up their dreams and made them want to be better at what they do. That's a real gift.

So did anyone laugh when they sat down to play...no they only smiled.

The photo above was of the piano at the performance. I have no idea what the white keys do or the black ones, all I know is that when fingers touch them---magic erupts. I may not know how to play a piano but I do recognize that we are all given different gifts in life---for me, the gift of photography is one I am grateful of having.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment