Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Up close and personal.


Shooting pictures is a passion of mine---like you have yet to realize that huh? But even when you anticipate what the pictures are going to be like, say at a basketball game, there is always that element of the unknown. Will there be someone really large next to you? Or in front of you? Or worse yet someone who wants to talk with you while you are taking pictures. I am not an anti-social person, but when you are paying a $100+ for a ticket, and you want to take pictures, chitchat cannot replace cha-ching.

As a photographer you do get to get closer to people. Whether it’s a photo shoot or a sporting event, there is a closeness that happens just by looking through the lens. In the case of a photo shoot, you have their complete attention and they are usually doing everything they can to either get out of it as fast as possible, or get the best picture to be taken. My favorites are when they are dying to go. I will start talking to them and making comments about I know they are anxious to get out of there, but not until I say it’s okay. Amazing how they listen…of course I do it with a smile, but I actually mean it.

One of my favorite moments when shooting is when you catch an animal with an expression that you swear is human. I have had giraffes nuzzle, tigers smile, and apes give pose for what appears to be a portrait. Of course they don’t know what I am thinking, and I have no idea what they are thinking (except that they might want to consume me) but it’s all about the connection between them and another photographer. I can only imagine how hard it must be to be an animal at the zoo---especially a popular one like a giraffe.

In March of last year, actually on St. Patrick’s Day, I saw the Chicago Bulls play the then, World Champion Boston Celtics. The Bulls, in honor of St. Patrick’s Day, wore green jerseys, and the Celtics wore white. The seat I had purchased for the game was 4 rows from the court---yes it was not cheap---but I knew it would be worth it. Until I got to my seat. It was very close to the court, but so were the Celtics who were blocking my view of the rest of the court. Of course the guy sitting next to me was big, and the 4 guys in front of me were continuing their celebration of St. Paddy’s Day. So I moved. I moved up 5 rows and it was it worth it.

I was right next to railing and sure enough there were the Celtics; I couldn’t believe that I was going to get a warm up shot. I got a 100 of them. I was going to be sure I didn’t miss this once in “my” lifetime opportunity. The photo above is the team jumping up and down as they prepare for the game. It’s one of those moments that most fans don’t see; I was able to spend a few minutes with them as my lens took me into their world without them even knowing it. It was the night of unexpected outcomes as the Bull’s beat the Celtics in overtime and my camera was willing to take the few extra shots even though I am sure it was worn out!

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment