Search This Blog

Saturday, January 30, 2010

The sole proprietor.


When you own your own business it's more than just a personal risk, it's spread out over all of your employees. Certainly when you are the owner you are more than likely to make the most money of anyone in the company, but the stress placed on your shoulders doesn't go away when you go down the elevator, out the door, or however you leave your place of business.

For some it's a dream to own their own business, for others it's a nightmare. The thought of keeping your own books, understanding all of the details of running a business and making sure everything is in balance is more than just a simple juggling act. When i was unemployed last year I started my own business. Although focusing on photography primarily there are other components to our business. As seamless as I was hoping it would be, as I begin to look into all of the information I need for tax purposes, I realize there is a lot to it. That's when an accountant comes into play. Mine is a friend of mine who I have known for most of my life...she is on my side and really looks out for me.

When I see individuals who have built a business and then sold it I have to wonder if that would be comparable to selling one of your children. I guess it depends upon what your dreams are and whether or not letting go is really in the best interest of your dreams. Think about Bill Gates. Could he really have taken what was a "game changing" idea and turned it into an industry standard without selling the company to stockholders. I don't think he could have---but in the end he still leads and does in many different areas that are well beyond computers. I saw the other day he was publishing his thoughts. Funny I don't think mine would ever get attention---but then again I am not Bill Gates.

When I was in college my Dad was let go from the company he had worked at for decades. Instead of giving up because he was older---he started his own company with my Mom. They made a business out of it, and actually survived longer than the company from where he was let go did. The understanding of how to run a business, along with keen insight of what he did for more than 30 years, let he and my Mom not only survive but thrive. That's what it's all about.

The photo above was taken at Laguardia airport in New York City. I had seen this man behind the counter a few times as I ventured down to the food court at the airport. I finally went up to him and asked if he was the owner. He said, "Yes may I help you with something?" I went on to discuss how I could tell he was the owner because of the pride he took with his "space" and customers; I think he was a little surprised---this was in New York after all. Turns out he has more than one restaurant however this is the one he enjoys the most. It allows him to interact with people who are likely never going to see him again and he just wants to make sure they enjoy what they are going to be eating. That's the sign of a proprietor---the one who makes America the land of opportunity.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment