Search This Blog

Friday, January 15, 2010

Weathering the storm.


This has been a very challenging week. I learned a lot about the human brain, as much as one can, in a very short period of time. My daughter, last Saturday morning, had a seizure. Needless to say we had no idea what was truly going on as she lay limp in my wife’s arms staring off into space with an inability to focus. We thought we lost her.

When we first arrived at the ER---it’s really not like the TV show by the way, doctors and nurses who were ready to take action greeted us. We were questioned about family history, what happened during the moments before arriving at the hospital and signs from that day that something could be happening. We provided every ounce of detail that we knew. It was a nightmare, and like my daughter, I was not able to wake up out of it on the spot.

The hospital we were taken to was the closest to our home; after the doctors and nurses were able to stabilize her, she was then taken to another hospital, by ambulance. Upon arrival, they completely took charge of the situation.

As parents you can never prepare for this situation----but from the moment we walked in the doors of the hospital, we were provided with up-to-date information, and answers to any, and all, questions we had. Then something very interesting happened, and I know this was meant to be; one of the doctors on staff took us aside and opened up to us not as a doctor but as a human being. It was like Marcus Welby (too old for many of you) meets McDreamy. She had recently lost her youngest child and said, “I completely understand what you are going through, and I am going to be completely upfront with you on your daughter’s situation.” As a family, she was our guiding light.

Then it became more apparent as to why she had come into our life.

It turns out she has 6 children, through a blended family, and one of them was at the hospital with her that day. Her daughter is 8 years old, and she was looking for a friend to play with while her Mom worked. Later that morning, my 7-year old daughter came to see her sister and as she lay in bed sleeping, I said, “I would like you to meet someone.” The 2 of them became instant friends.

What did they have in common? They both had the exact same birthdays, had their ears pierced on the same day at the same retailer, plus so much more.

As the situation unfolded, and our daughter’s tests continued to come back negative, we became closer and closer with this wonderful human being who completely understands the role of being a doctor. Because of the bond created, we are planning to get together in the near future as families and we helped her select a camera. How cool is that?

This is a real life pay it forward situation that until recently I would have never believed could happen. I have made a personal promise to reciprocate if, and when, the need ever arises. No hesitation what so ever.

The photo above was taken in downtown Chicago; waiting too long, this bird was flying into a storm that had been gathering for several minutes. It now faced a much more difficult journey than it was planning as the sunny skies turned dark---I am assuming it made it home. We had some very dark clouds move into our life this past week---we are hoping that the sun has broken through as my daughter came home last night. It was a week I will never forget.

Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Mark. What a powerful story. I hope you and your family are resting and recovering and I hope your the best for your daughter. Beth

    ReplyDelete