Search This Blog

Sunday, April 4, 2010

4/4


When you are born, that day becomes your day for the rest of your life. When you are young, it’s the most important date, and for some when that date comes along as they get older, well it’s not as important.

One other fact you learn is that other people have your same birth date. Yes you have to share this special date. Here’s some news you might be interested in…give or take few hundred thousand people, on average you share the date with more than 18 million people around the globe. Also, you sometimes share the date with events that have significance with this very important day of your life. When I was 10 years old, as Bono has sung many times in the song, “Pride (In The Name Of Love”---Martin Luther King lost his life, it happened on my birthday in 1968.

This year, Easter fell on my birthday and other years Passover; Bob Costas and other sports stars, celebrities and even my first cousin all were born on this date. Actually my cousin Alan has first right to the day as he is older than me.

What other incredible events have happened on April 4? Well, John Tesh married Connie Selleca in 1992, and are you ready for this? In 1993 at Wrestlemania IX, Hulk Hogan pinned Yokozuna—how much better does it get than that?

As important as Hulk Hogan pinning his opponent, and Connie and John hooking up, this date has substantial meaning to me. On April 4, 2009 we learned my Mom was sick. What we had hoped was the cause of her facial droop was not what he had prayed for---it was much worse. Combine learning this on my birthday and my cousin’s birthday---we all attended a family event that entire day. One I can tell you I had no interest attending once I learned something was wrong and only the doctors knew what it was; or at least what they suspected. They were right unfortunately.

We all have special days in our lives and once they are attached to you, they will always remain. I am very happy to have a date associated with memories---personal and global. I feel like I am truly blessed to have this special date as one that’s mine and shared with 18 million others.

The photo above is actually one of my favorites. The words “Happy and Day” are blocked but the word “birth” is visible. When it’s your day, it helps to know that it all started with the birth of another human being. For me it is not only the celebration of my birthday, but also the day I will always remember how my Mom was going to spend some of her last days with us.

Thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

  1. Actually your birthday fell on Easter AND Passover. Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, you're still older than me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks for the clarification on the 2 holidays. By the way, it also fell on the eve of the NCAA national championship game and work tomorrow. All very important happenings in our life.

    ReplyDelete