Search This Blog

Monday, April 12, 2010

Brothers.

Some of us have them, some of us don’t. I have one and a sister too. Although we live in separate areas of the country, we have the common link that lets us know we are a family. That common link, amongst many others, is our Dad. He is our number 1 concern as he grasps life without my Mom.

But today’s “Snap. Shot.” is not about my Dad, it’s about siblings. There have been times when I have not said the nicest things about my brother; it may have been a while back, but when I was getting hit with hockey pucks in the head and other areas of my body, punched in the face during a fight we had (I lost by the way), plus other moments, I think I let him know how I felt. I may not remember my exact words, but they were not terms of endearment. But through it all, I knew and continue to know, we have a bond. My sister on the other hand is someone I don’t really recall having too many fights with; I suspect it’s because of her being 6 years older, a girl, and her not being a hockey player. She also would not pack much of a punch if we were to have gotten into a fight---we didn’t by the way.

Through it all however, we have stayed in contact and we see each other as often as we can.

If you were to have turned the clock back just a few years ago I think I would be writing the same blog, but there would have been a little less to talk about. Why the change? We had family challenges and we came back together in a much stronger way; probably stronger than I ever could have, or would have, imagined. Like brothers and sisters we lived in our own worlds with our own families; there is nothing wrong with this as I know a lot of people who can’t tell you anything new about their siblings, parents, cousins, etc.

What’s most important about the relationship we have is our ability to spend quality time together, drift back in time to the memories that molded us, and now talk about “adult topics.” Stuff that I never thought I would be talking about, but deep down knew I would have to. Like, what happens when a parent becomes ill? Nothing, and I mean nothing, brought us to our senses like when my Mom became ill; we knew what to do, but we did it based upon the help of one another making critical decisions for her. That is real life.

The photo above is the ultimate bond. My father and my uncle have both witnessed their partners of more than 50 years pass away in the last few years. Now my uncle is having his challenges, and who is there---in addition to his children of course---his brother. My Dad. No matter how mad you get at your brother or sister, as they say, “when the going gets tough, you can always count on your family.”

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment