Search This Blog

Monday, April 19, 2010

The bump, slap, and high five.


I am not exactly sure where these alternative methods of shaking hands came about, but they are very much a part of our society. The bump, slap, and high five are seen everyday---from baseball games to “Deal or No Deal,” you will find these newly created techniques of greeting a person. I can honestly say, I have really never understood the bump and have no idea if this is something that only happens in the U.S. or is it global?

In sports, showing enthusiasm is part of the game. When a player gets a key hit or does something really good, the hands go up, and they slap up and down the line. It’s more than just a rarity; it’s part of our everyday expectations. Because boys and girls like to emulate their sports heroes, you will see this same gesture on playgrounds and ballparks throughout the land. I remember when Brandi Chastain, took off her jersey when Team U.S.A. soccer won the championship---I am not sure if every one held their breath as her top came off, or whether they saw this as tomorrow’s trend. I think neither has occurred. Something tells me parents are the reason for that---I can only imagine the horror if someone in complete excitement ripped off their shirt forgetting they had little or nothing on underneath.

When I was growing up, we shook hands or gave each other “five” when something good happened. Like when we won a game we would shake hands---and for our really good friends say, “give me some skin.” Both have pretty much been pushed aside, except at the end of baseball games, you often will see the catcher approach the pitcher with an outstretched hand---then they give each other a high five and jump up hip to hip!

The photo above was taken in St. Louis a few years ago. How do I know it was a few years ago? None of these players are on the team any longer. Of what I recall, “Duncan” had made an amazing dive to grab a ball---I missed the shot of course---and when they came together, during a pitching change, Jim Edmonds held out his glove for the “touch.”
I am not sure what will be the next form of expression---people jump up in the air, they scream at one another with happiness, and much more. My hope, when it all settles down is they go back to shaking hands---a tradition that’s been with us for hundreds of years until the bump was invented.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment