Search This Blog

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Meet Steve Harris.


For most, if not all, of the readers of “Snap. Shot.” you probably have no idea who Steve Harris is; but when were done, you might just tune into one of his programs. (I know he would be fine with that.)

Steve is an executive producer and director with A&E Networks. We met last week in New York. What intrigued me most about Steve was his very approachable manner. Here is someone who produced “The Jackson’s”---yes those Jacksons---and unless you probed him on what he does, you would have no idea how well he got to know the Jackson family. Even I don’t know how well he got to know them, but knowing the production was going on prior to Michael Jackson’s untimely death, and after it, I suspect he is more familiar with the family than just a passing hello.

One of the reasons I liked meeting Steve as much as I did was his genuine openness to ideas; he contacted the company I work for when he learned of what we did. He could do what we do I assume, but he has the knowledge and confidence to pull from a number of different areas to find what he wants, and deliver it to the viewers who tune in to watch the programs he is responsible for. I know I have said this before, but how cool is that?

When I followed up with him earlier this week, I was prepared to discuss some ideas and directions we “thought” fit what he was looking for; when the time we were supposed to talk went by, and I had left messages, I was a little down. Hey, it’s me after all. A few minutes later, we spoke. I have to admit I was a little anxious to talk with him because now we were at full exposure---I said,” This is what we were thinking.” Silence. I knew that one would be pushed aside. Then another thought was presented…. near silence. This was not going where I was hoping it was going to go. Then, as they say, “third times the charm.”

When I entered the business I am in, I had little or no idea about the field. Now I am happy to report, I am a little more knowledgeable about what our company does; it’s when you are involved in projects like this that you have to step back and grasp what we are talking about. It’s so different, and so unique, but it’s also something I feel very strongly about.

The photo above is a picture of Steve. Of little shock, I had my camera with me when we met. Why? Well, I had checked out of my hotel, left my luggage behind, but there was no way I was going to leave my camera with anyone. So, it came along to the meeting. I explained that I wrote a daily blog and asked if I could take his picture. I said I would send him today’s “Snap. Shot.” So, that’s a little bit about Steve Harris---want to know more about what he does or where he has been? Google his name…I did. Want to make him happy? Tune into his shows on A&E---he will be a lot happier you did this than looking up his name on Google.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment