Search This Blog

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Ms. Liberty.


For millions of people, the first site they saw when they came to America was the Statue of Liberty. It’s when you see it as an American for the first time, and you have lived on U.S. soil your entire life, that you appreciate how beautiful and welcoming this green statue is----and what it stands for.

I had only seen the Statue of Liberty one time---we actually flew near it on an approach, and that was my one encounter. Similar to many monuments, statues, and historical landmarks, you have to be tourist to want to see it. Whether it’s The Lincoln Memorial, Gateway Arch, or The Statue of Liberty, I only saw them when I was visitor or when I came back home and thought---“I wonder what it’s like to go up in the Arch?” This was more than 25 years after it had been built and I had never been inside.

My favorite landmark is The Lincoln Memorial in Washington DC. There is little doubt of the impact this piece of history has had on America; but it’s when you walk up those stairs and realize what this man did for our country, and you read “The Gettysburg Address” on one side of the wall, and Lincoln’s second “Inaugural Address” on the other wall, that it’s all put into perspective. This man had a lot on his plate. He was loved and he was hated---there was no middle ground. That’s a tough way to live.

I am also always amazed when I look at structures as large as these monuments and statues and think, “someone actually built this and had the vision and understanding of how to do it.” That is one heck of a feat.

The photo above is one I really wanted to take. Actually I took many photos as the boat I was on passed by, stopped and rocked up and down. My number one goal was to see it; my second goal was to get up so close that you could see people in the crown. I am happy to report both were accomplished. If you have the chance to play tourist next time you are in a new city, do it. Also, bring your camera---you never know who you will want to show the pictures to.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment