Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Reflections of days gone by.


Today’s “Snap.Shot.” is not a retro look of where we have been; it’s more about looking forward to where we could likely be in the future.

Growing up in a city like St. Louis proved to be a great “first step” toward where I would end up after I left home. It’s a large city to some, a small city to others, and the perfect one to many. I know this might sound like the story of the “Three Bears,” but there is no porridge, chairs, or beds we will be talking about.

What I learned by growing up in the heartland were values; not saying that other parts of the country don’t have values, but the Midwest tends to be seen as an area that has an over abundance of them. This can be a great ground to stand on, or it can be really boring. (There must be a reason why more people spend vacation time on the east and west coasts---the excitement of going to middle America does not seem to have the same appeal.)

But there really is a lot to be experienced growing up in the heartland---when I was in New York last week, I made a very “loaded” comment about spending time in this big city to a friend of mine who lives there. I said, “I have seen a real change in the way people are approachable here in New York--- sure it’s just as busy, but there has been a change. A really good change.” She said, “We have always been very nice and approachable. Living in New York is not that much different than living other places.” I did a triple take. I have spent enough time in other cities to know areas like New York have an image of being overly fast paced, and just maybe one with little patience---hence the phrase “New York Minute.” I have never heard “St. Louis Second” or “Minneapolis Moment”--- however, maybe I have missed something.

Having grown up in the Midwest, and specifically St. Louis, I can look back and say it has prepared me for life. I do believe anyone who has grown up anywhere in the world, can make this comment---I am glad I had the opportunity to begin my life in what would be seen as a “mid-sized” city by most standards. As I sit on the train this morning, and see kids going to school by railroad, I wonder if I would be a different person today because of a much different lifestyle. I will never know.

The photo above is all about reflection. One of the most well known structures in the Midwest, and I suspect America, The “Gateway Arch” (it’s real name) was constructed as the “Gateway to the West.” Like many monuments, and structures around the U.S. you don’t always appreciate it when you live there---but its symbol is so important for making the statement of why the people who live there are so proud.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment