Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Here comes goodbye.


With all of the travel done every day here in the U.S. and throughout the world, it’s never easy to say goodbye. Even though we often know we are going to be back soon, it’s still a struggle leaving people who are so important to you at home ---I assume I am not alone.

Today is a different day for me. This time I am not doing the travelling; it’s my two youngest daughters. They are leaving to fly overseas with our sitter, we know him very well, and they will meet up with my wife and other daughters in Thailand. All combined, there will be 12 people together ---I am tending to work and our dog. Yes, I drew the short straw. But I have to be honest, the thought of flying for almost 20 hours is about as appealing as going to the dentist and having a root canal. (Without Novocain.)

There is one bonus to being in Thailand and that’s the weather, food (I guess) and photo opportunities. Of course being with family is a great part of it, but we can do that in the states; okay, I do wish I were there. Who wouldn’t want to be?

Knowing our girls, and my wife, are going to experience the trip of a lifetime makes me very happy. But as a parent and spouse, I still deal with the unknown. What if? Suppose? Why? I will only feel complete again when everyone is back on our soil in our home.

If I am being weak or sappy, I just am; family is that important to me.

When I travel next I know one of the things I am planning to do; I will be taking pictures of one of the best-known landmarks in the world. I will not discuss it because it will likely be seen in “Snap.Shot.” but even when I am taking these photos I will know I am feeling some emptiness. As of next month one of my daughters will be joining the working ranks forever---and my son is already there. I think this is one of the most difficult parts of growing up----from the young father to the older one. There is pride, but there will always be concern.

The photo above is actually a sunrise and not a sunset. It looks like it could be either one, but it was taken in Padre Island, TX very early one morning. I wanted to be up when the sun made its entrance and it sure did; I will be taking my children to the airport today, and as their plane takes off headed west into the sunset, I will likely be playing the song, “Here Comes Goodbye” from Rascal Flatts in my head.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment