Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Do I really need it?

 


“You can't always get what you want

But if you try sometimes, well, you might find

You get what you need.”


This time of year, when we are being bombarded by what we think we need, we look for the reassurance that our wants are truly warranted.  I mean think about it. We do need the new Lexus, we do need that PS5 and for sure, we need a 90-inch Smart TV for our 10’ x 10’ room. Isn’t our goal to have a screen dominate our lives? Oh, never mind, it already does. 


It is kind of amazing how our wants and desires change over time. I remember when I was a kid, like 5 years ago, I wanted a new camera. Did I need one? Well that depends on who you ask. I would say I was the only one in the “you need it” category, and in the end I did get it. Did I feel guilt in purchasing a new camera? Yes, I did. But then again I rationalized it by telling myself it would help me take better photos and that would make me happy. Did it? I don’t know, but I do like the camera.


Living in a pandemic I have learned there really is very little I truly need. When health, a roof over your head, and the ability to put food on the table take over your thoughts—the non-essentials live up to being non-essential. Yes, even that 5-year old camera that I can now buy for 60% less.


I do hope in 2021 we begin to see the world go back to a time when it’s okay to dream of what you want, don’t necessarily need, but still can rationalize as being okay to just go ahead and get it. After all we’ve been through, we deserve it. No guilt.


The photo above was taken in Florida this past spring. It was during the time when travel had pretty much stopped, when we were warned that traveling by plane was heavily frowned upon, and worse yet…we stayed in an Airbnb. However, we wore masks, washed out hands, and were socially distant. I can’t say these simple measures were in place for everyone we saw, but we knew if we wanted it, we could be careful and get what we needed at the time.


Thanks for stopping by.






No comments:

Post a Comment