Search This Blog

Saturday, December 26, 2020

Let's hit the road.

 



“Life is a highway

I wanna ride it all night long

If you're going my way

Well, I wanna drive it all night long.”


It’s hard to believe where we are a year later. The roads are not packed, the air overhead is not full of planes, and every other way we travelled has pretty much come to a halt. In other words, people are staying home.


If you think this has impacted your life, imagine what life is like for people in the travel field? The travel industry has been leveled by the pandemic as have most of the industries that depend on travel for their income. In locations such as Nevada, where one industry dominates, the impact has been horrific. If you have been to Nevada, and not just Las Vegas, you know it offers quite an experience. I have been fortunate to be in a number of parts of the state and if you think it’s all about gambling, it’s not. 


Right now America is spending the holidays with family and friends. They’re not necessarily doing it with them in their homes or at a special location, they’re doing it through technology. If you have been on FaceTime or Zoom, you know it’s not the most desirable way to get together, but it does work. 


Think about where we were just a few years ago and you know the only option we would have had back then would have been the telephone (one with a cord attached.) There was a campaign many years ago for AT&T, themed, “reach out and touch.” It was all about calling and connecting with people; obviously a lot has changed since this campaign was promoted…if you were to see it today, you would laugh it off as the olden days. Back then it was life as we knew it.


I am optimistic we will be traveling soon. Maybe not far away travel yet, but even if it’s a state or two away, it’s going to feel like we are traveling internationally. I know where I want to go, it’s a little further that 3 states away, but if I make it, I will be taking my trusty Nikon with me! (I want to go to New Mexico, Oregon, or Wyoming.)


The photo above was taken a few months ago. The suitcases were brought at an estate sale on Chicago’s North Shore. I learned, from the people at the estate sale that the owner worked for Neiman-Marcus in Chicago—-apparently it was a display in a store. He moved to Dallas to help get the company back on track as it has filed for bankruptcy protection—and I guess he had enough luggage.


Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment