Search This Blog

Monday, December 21, 2009

The best seat in the house.


When shooting photos at sporting events, you often times will see the professional photographers on the court, field or stands. (I have never seen a photographer on the ice for example during a hockey game but you never know when that might start.) One thing you may or may not know about these “shooters” is when they are in a stadium, they are using a flash system that is located throughout that provides a burst of light to make their photos look awesome. If you take a photo at the same time, yours will look like a bad snowstorm. It's fully electronic and to use it costs about $150,000 for the entire season. Their advantage, your loss.

Because I do not work for Sports Illustrated (hey Rob, if you are reading this that’s a hint) I have not been privy to the flash system on the court or field; I have sat in the stands of course and because of the equipment I use, have been asked if I am a professional photographer. On the one hand I am flattered they ask, but for these events I am not. Since I don’t like to talk too much when I am at a game shooting pictures I usually say, “No” and continue to shoot.

There are some benefits in sitting in the stands at a basketball game and here’s why. When you sit on the court you are usually low and shooting upward at the players. It’s not like you can stand during the game and shoot. Plus there is a risk of having a player crash into you and breaking your equipment! This has ever been a concern, since I have been shooting, because I have never been that close to the action.

But there are disadvantages when sitting in the stands. Just when you have the clear path to the shot of a lifetime, the person in front of you decides to stand and scream at the ref or player. He happens to be 6 feet 11 and his head is as big as a plate--what are you going to say? Last year when I went to the Bulls game I had such a good seat that the Boston Celtics players were actually in the way of my shooting path. That’s a problem as you really can’t ask them to move. So what do you do? You move. Luckily I was able to move 3 rows higher and had some of the best seats I have ever sat in.

The photo above was taken at the Chicago Bulls/Boston Celtics game; in the stadium there are many ways to take better pictures. It might be the lighting system mentioned above or having your camera where no one is permitted to sit---attached to the backboard. I am not sure I will be able use the lighting system any time soon or put a camera in back of the basket, but I will keep shooting pictures. For me it's probably the most challenging time I shoot---I know I have about 3 hours and for me, it is 180 minutes of solid love and enjoyment.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment