Search This Blog

Monday, December 7, 2009

When you are told it’s over.

Yesterday I went to a Border’s location and when I walked in the door there were 7 dogs inside the store. These were not working dogs, they were greyhounds.

As I waited for my wife to make her purchase I went up to one of the women who was handling a brown striped dog ---guess they don’t have to be grey---and asked her some questions about the breed. All I knew was they were really skinny and fast. (I had never seen one up close---by the way, they have really long noses.)

I learned a few things about the breed. First they are really friendly dogs; they had no fear as I reached over to pet onw. I also found out that there would be more than 500 available in the next few weeks, as a dog track in Wisconsin was getting ready to close. No racing, no need for racing dogs. So as you might guess she asked if I would be interested in adopting one? I explained that we have a dog and he is a handful. In fact, I thought my dog was fast until she explained these dogs could run as fast as a car when they take off from a dead stop. Okay, maybe not a Porsche or Lamborghini---but probably faster than a Yugo or Rambler in their glory year. (No plural on that one.)

She went on to explain what would be in store for their future when they are no longer needed for racing; it’s not necessarily a happy situation, but for many of the greyhounds it can be. Another owner explained that her dog was retired after 2 races because he would not win any money. Although a big dog, she said, “He’s slow.” That’s all relative as you might guess as I am sure compared to my running ability he would describe me as an invalid. There are other details but I am sure you can guess they are not worth discussing at this time. On another note, if you live in the Chicago area, and are looking for a dog, these pups are really nice and I am told great pets.

The photo above was taken at Keeneland racetrack outside of Lexington, KY. They take their horse racing pretty seriously in Kentucky; in this area of the state you’ll find a lot of breeders and some of the most famous horses to ever hit the track. I would love to have gone to the races because I really love to watch the splendor and beauty of the sport, but they were not racing that day. Unlike greyhounds, I believe horses are offered a second life when they retire---I really hope when it’s my time to call it a day I can do what I was doing that warm spring day, taking pictures.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment