Search This Blog

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Reflections on Y2K and beyond.


When we entered the new millennium, we looked forward with optimism to a future of incredible growth staring us in the face. In some respects we were let down, however we gained more than we could have ever imagined. In other words, it's been a heck of a decade since we welcomed in 1/1/00 and airplanes didn't fall from the sky, computers were okay and our bank accounts were safe.

We witnessed a new President coming into office however we will never be 100% sure how it happened. Whether you voted for him or not, in the end it was finally decided over a chad and dimple chad. (And of course, we voted in another who changed the course.) But of course nothing could have prepared us for 9/11. Like millions of Americans it still resonates within me as one of the worst days of my life---yet in some respects it was a wonderful day. Why? Because through this horrific tragedy we learned how to come together as a nation, united and believing we are the greatest country in the world. It was one of the few times I think I will ever see every corner of America feel connected with New York City---we learned a lot on that day.

There was a lot of good that came out of the decade; we had births, but we had deaths---marriages and divorces, happy times and of course sad ones, but as we close out probably the hardest decade of my life, we are still standing.

One area I learned about, and it was not easy, is fiscal responsibility; when you have it, life is great, when you don't, you learn the cold hard facts that money does not grow on trees. I am going to assume there are millions of Americans who have learned this same lesson, I hope they wrote it down so they don't forget. I did...I wrote it in Snap. Shot.

There is one thing I learned over the last 10 years that I will always be happy about---I learned how to use a camera and take pictures. Yes a bit trite in the scheme of things, but when I look back and see what I have captured there is nothing trivial about it. I have photos of my children at all stages of their lives; from birth to birthdays to graduation to independence. I have photos of the ones we have lost and the ones who have come into our lives---photography has taught me how to look at life in so many different ways. I will always look back on this "unnamed" decade (they still have yet to come up with a name) as one where I truly found myself. That's a very cool feeling.

The photo above was taken at Navy Pier in Chicago a few weeks ago. The reflection of the Ferris Wheel on the building brought a perspective that caught my attention. I knew this was a keeper when I saw it come to life in my view finder. As I take a look back and consider all that has happened during the past 10 years, I would not trade a moment of this decade of change.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment