Search This Blog

Thursday, December 10, 2009

The light at the end of the tunnel.


This has been a rough year for American’s and people around the globe. Besides saying “Duh” I think we need to be noting that there is finally a light at the end of the tunnel. It’s still dim and somewhat distant, but if you think back to where we were a year ago, it’s as bright as the sun. Okay, well maybe a 60-watt light bulb.

For many of the reader(s) of Snap Shot you may or may not remember the 1980s and what America was going through back then. We were embroiled in a long battle with Iran (they held U.S. hostages for more than a year), interest rates were near modern day highs, and our President at the time, Jimmy Carter, was voted out of office. Ahh…the good old days! But, we made it through these times and went on to strong economic growth, the introduction of technology that not only changed the way we live, but changed the way we interact with humans around the world.

So where are we headed with Snap Shot today you might be thinking?

As hard as it may seem to believe, things are going to improve. It won’t be the traditional way, it will happen through ways we, the citizens, probably are not even aware of at this time. But, I can’t wait. I do believe the financial system will continue to grow providing people with the opportunity to buy again; if they are not ready to buy, they will be able to “taste” what’s on the horizon by renting, leasing, or some new way of ownership. I do hope we have learned about fiscal responsibility. I know I have; I will NEVER take some of the risks I took again. I didn’t come out on the winning end--not a good thing—and for sure learned a great lesson.

So when is the light going to really brighten? When people start to believe again. Believe that things will get better---it’s called, as you probably know, “consumer confidence” and it is truly what drives our economy. When the economy is humming good things usually happen; people feel hopeful, and we talk of greater optimism. For some crazy reason, I feel optimistic---if I can do it, you can do it, and it catches on when you carry it forward. (You can stop laughing now.)

The photo above was taken in California. It’s a picture of one of my daughters at the far end of a tunnel. What I liked most about this photo, and this is just my opinion, is no matter how dark things appear to be, there really is a bright light not too far in the distance.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment