Search This Blog

Friday, December 11, 2009

The shot.


Every so often you look and see a shot that you really need to take. The shot I am referring to here is a photograph of course. It can be the look your dog just gave you, a couple making goo-goo eyes at one another, or a child who just looks funny. Whatever the situation, there is a way to capture it.

There are also some photos that are not the sure fire must haves. It might be a tragic situation, a couple who has just had a big fight, or the loss of the most important football game. (Your favorite team of course.) Whatever the situation, pain is not something that’s easy to take a photo of, especially if you know someone is watching. But sometimes these are even more important than the memorable ones of the dog, couple or child---it’s all about capturing a memory.

One of my favorite shots I have ever taken was when my youngest daughter was born. My wife would kill me if I put it on Snap Shot, but let me describe it for you. It’s a picture of my daughter coming into this world; I love it for many reasons, but probably the most important reason of all is because I had never taken a picture like this before---nor do I plan to ever again. There is something about the first moment of life. Pretty cool huh? Since this first picture of her was taken, she has been forced to smile, look at me, smile again, turn her body toward me/away from me and do it all over again for the camera. I do enjoy taking pictures of my children--they don’t always like it, but hey, too bad, I am their Dad and photographer. (Yet when it’s my wife taking the pictures they accommodate.)

This holiday season is going to be one where we will have family to our home. Some have never been to our home, and some are back for a return visit. I can assure you the cameras will be clicking for the entire time they are in town. During previous holidays we have captured the sparkle of the season inside, outside and in various locations around Chicago---it’s a great time to go for the shot.

The photo above is of my youngest daughter; no this is not when she was born, it was when she became a human canvas. Her sister decided it was a good idea to get her to enjoy one of her favorite hobbies at one point---painting. We all have captured memories on our film and digital cameras---if you have a camera, and time this weekend, go out and take some pictures, you just might capture that shot of your lifetime.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment