Search This Blog

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Ugh.


One of my most favorable memories when I was growing up was when the carnival came to town. Back then tickets were a dime, and I can't say for sure but I suspect the rides probably were not as well inspected as they are today. I am assuming they are now checked regularly.

The rides ranged from the basic standards---Ferris Wheel, swings, and merry-go-round---my favorites however were the spin rides. I loved them. I remember one time when the "octopus" was at the carnival and it started to rain; plans were for the carnival to leave the next day, and I had one last ticket in my pocket. I went up to the ticket taker, who wanted to take cover, and said, "I want to ride one more time." He was not happy, but I was. I loved that dizzy feeling.

For some reason as you grow older the spin rides become less and less desirable. In fact, if I ride anything that spins or goes in various directions, I feel sick for hours. I am not alone as other people have told me they feel the same way. Now move forward some 40 years and you find the same thing happening in the town I now live in. Carnival comes to town, they sell tickets for now $.50 or .75 or more per ticket (sometimes requiring 2 or 3 tickets to ride) and the kids hop on and have a great time. Funny you don't see many parents going on the spin rides.

There is one ride that I can not fathom how anyone would want to ride. It looks like a big boat. Innocent enough until it starts to move. It goes one way, and then stops and goes the opposite direction; this continues until it is rocking back and forth and then it happens, it goes upside down and does a complete loop. Just writing this blog is making my stomach upset.
One of the things I learned about rides like this when I was a kid was when the ride goes in a complete circle, money and tickets fall out. Yep, we waited below and when they fell, it was a game of "Finder's keepers." We were bad...but we got to go on more rides because of our creativity.

The photo above was taken at the local carnival that comes to town every May. During the day it's all young kids and Mom's and Dad's. At night however it turns into the teenage "hangout." This is one of the rides I remember well when I was growing up, it's a spin ride that goes in circles---it was one we went on with girls because we knew they would slide next to us. When it seems somethings are constantly changing, the local carnival has kept its tradition.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment