Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

When the red lights shine.


We've all been there. Some more than others. It's when you are driving along and you suddenly know you have been caught. Whether you are exceeding the speed limit, run a red light, or some other move that breaks the law, when the lights go on, you are having a bad day.

At my age you would think I would have had my share of conversations with police officers however I have been quite lucky. I can count on one hand the number of times I have been pulled over. It happened the first time when I was in college; I was pulling out of the dress factory where I worked and sure enough the lights go on in back of me. The Officer walked up and asked me about the license plate in my window. He knew it was a new car, why did he stop me? He wanted to see what it looked like on the inside. No ticket, but sweaty hands. Then there was the time in West Bend, WI. I was doing 35 in a 20. Who has 20 MPH speed limits? They do. I talked my way out of that one when he went to check my record. No tickets in 15 years or so. A few years later on the highway heading to St. Louis for business---I am pulled over for not having the proper sticker on the plate. The officer told me to get it taken care of with a warning.

But my luck ran out a few days ago. Once again the sticker was out of date but this time I got a ticket. Not a moving violation but a ticket just the same. When the Officer asked me if I had any questions, I said, "Nope have a good holiday." He gave me a look and thinking I was a smart "ass" but I meant it. I knew we I was in the wrong.

I have had some friends who have not been as lucky as I have been. Some have been arrested for driving too fast and one I know was pulled over for going to slow. How slow you might be thinking? Slower than I thought you could travel by car. He had been drinking and was really paranoid about getting pulled over. He was very aware of the need to go the speed limit as he drove home. It was a 45 MPH road and when he was pulled over he asked what was wrong? He was told he was traveling at speed that was "considered dangerous." When asked how fast he was traveling? He was told he was doing 8 MPH. The story went around our fraternity house faster than he was traveling.

This time of year you have to be very aware of the need to not drink and drive, skid and drive in the snow, or speed...because if you do, you will be caught. The police are out in full force and rightly so. It's the time of the year when people celebrate---and where that's a good thing, it's not good for the other guy on the road.

The photo above was taken in Coeur d'Alene, ID. There was a car show in town and this police car (circa Andy Griffith Show) was parked at the hotel where we were staying. I knew Barney Fife was not going to step out of the car, but it did cross my mind. Had that happened I wouldn't be surprised to see "Thelma Lou" with him but then again, they were just sweet on each other and they probably never stayed in a hotel together.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment