Search This Blog

Friday, December 18, 2009

News Flash: It’s not the ball.


If you have followed sports, you know there are a lot of superstitions in every game; everything from wearing the same t-shirt, to picking up a handful of dirt before stepping up to the plate, to bouncing the ball 6 times, twirling it in your hands and then bouncing it one more time. Professional athletes believe these rituals help their game and they do it religiously. Just watch.

I think in many respects we all have our superstitions. I know when I make a comment about the traffic moving quickly on the highway, I quickly think, “Why did I just say that?” Usually I am assuming we will come to a stop in a matter of moments because of my simple blurting out something that was happening. Funny, often times I am right and we do slow down or stop. We all live with patterns in our lives and when something does go wrong because we made an adjustment or forgot to keep the pattern, sure enough we become superstitious.

There are some superstitions I refuse to partake in however. One is “Triskaidekaphobia;” for all of you who know the meaning, perhaps you have had other people talk of their fears and learned of it that way, or perhaps you were just inquisitive and wanted to know if there is a name for the fear of the number 13. I learned of it when I worked at Smithsonian Magazine---we had an article on the topic and sure enough that month we had a Friday the 13th. What I learned was actually kind of interesting.

For example the number 13 goes back centuries ---when dinner guests were invited to a feast, the host made sure she set for an even number. Whether it was 12 or 14 she made sure all seats were filled. The number 13 was not acceptable. I also learned airlines will adjust flights based upon what they know usually happens on Friday the 13th. They overbook the flight because they know many people do not realize the date when they make their reservations and don’t show up. (You’ll have to wait until August 2010 before we have our next one---you have plenty of time to fly.)

As far as other concerns, I have never owned a black cat, have not walked under ladders, or thrown salt over my shoulder, I do know many people who live with these superstitions; I just look at them and tap my fingers 7 times, twirl my thumbs and blink. (Just kidding.)

The photo above was taken in Kansas City when the Royals played the Chicago White Sox; needless to say the pitcher holding the ball was not enjoying his time on the mound that evening. Unfortunately after having his little chat with the ball, the next batter got a hit. I guess the ball just wasn’t listening or was just superstitious about going into the catcher’s mitt.

Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment: