Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Fashionate.


When it comes to being an expert in fashion, I fall way short of knowing anything more than what I like to wear. In the summer, it’s shorts and a t-shirt; in the fall, it’s shorts and a long sleeve t-shirt or sweatshirt, and only in winter do I break the “shorts” pattern by wearing a sweater and pants (or as I call them, “slacks”). If you have yet to figure it out, I go for comfort and have been criticized for dressing down when I should have been dressing up.

For many years I wore a suit every day to work. I mean every day. It was what everyone wore, except our clients and agency contacts---i.e. The people we were responsible for calling on in business. When I first got into the business world a number of us were taken aside and instructed by one of the sales directors on the proper socks to wear with suits. As I sat there and looked down at my black socks poking out from under the pant leg of my navy blue suit I figured out I really didn’t know anything about style. I thought I did, but the black socks and mismatched belt and shoes were a dead give-a-way. (Oh yeah, in the same meeting I learned that the color of the belt has to match the shoes.) You might be thinking, who cares? I did. I wanted to present myself in a manner that said, “I am not a dork.” I was not doing a good job.

I think my desire to have some fashion sense came from my Dad and brother; they were always well dressed, especially my brother. There is a memory of him when I was growing up---one of many—about my brother’s clothing style. There was a store he liked, and actually worked at, called “Boyd’s.” Although long gone, this retailer specialized in “nicer clothing.” I had trouble shopping there because they didn’t have my size; my size was either a “short” or “husky.” Love that term---“husky.” Why don’t they just call it “chunky” or “fat?” But my brother just loved Boyd’s—and I dreamed of being able to wear their clothes.

One fall, my brother convinced my Mom to buy him a double-breasted navy blue sport coat---what I remember about it was, it was expensive and how ridiculous he looked when he wore an ascot with it one time. No matter how much I looked up to his fashion sense, this was one look I am happy I never copied.

So that brings me full circle to where I am today. At work I no longer wear suits, nor does anyone else in the office. Honestly, I am happy this is the case because I was tired of them. Too bad for the suit manufacturers, I can only imagine how challenging their business is these days!

The photo above was taken at an antique fair in Sandwich, IL---the woman in the picture is my wife. What I like most about this picture is the black and white contrast and how no matter what my wife wears, she always looks great.

Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

  1. I rode a bus to work in downtown Big D and wore tennis shoes, carrying my dress pumps. One morning I grabbed a black and blue instead of two black (not hard in the dark.) When I changed my cube neighbor Fashionista (looked like the cover of Glamour) laughed and ran off to tell the world. I quickly shucked them for the "spare" gray pair I kept in my drawer and went to work. When she returned to show her audience, I feigned total surprise and told her she shouldn't drink so much - I fessed up later, but it was truly funny!

    ReplyDelete