Search This Blog

Sunday, December 13, 2009

The jockey and his buddy.


In a recent Snap Shot I wrote about greyhounds; but the truth of the matter is as far as racing, I prefer horses. (Since I have not been to a greyhound race track, perhaps I would enjoy that just as much...but that's a guess.)

If you have been to a horse racing track, you know it has changed quite a lot over the years. When I was young, I used to go with my Mom, Dad and grandparents to a track right over the Missouri border. It was in Collinsville, IL. To say it was seedy would be an understatement. Of what I recall it was dirty and frequented by the type of people you might expect at a race track. But that's changed. Every summer, we go to Arlington Race Track outside of Chicago and it is a very positive experience. Sure there are some people who go because they love to bet and this is a way of life for them, but you will also find families there---in abundance. Arlington has done a great job of marketing to families because they know if you get the kids, you get the parents.

One of the best things about going to the track is looking at the horses and jockey's. They really work together as a team. A favorite activity is to go to the paddock and watch the horses being paraded around. The real purpose of course is for bettors to take a look at the horses before they put their money down, but for a photographer it's to get close up pictures. I like doing this, but my real love at the track is capturing the horses in full sprint. They are just amazing animals---and you realize their power (note they do use "horse power" when referring to cars) when you hear them race buy. To think they are on 4 very thin legs makes it even more impressive and a concern. Fortunately I have not seen a horse go down with a broken bone.

Back to Collinsville. My grandparents were really into horse racing. I am not 100% sure, but I would not be surprised if they had part ownership of a horse at one point in their lives. They spent time at the track and instilled that love of racing into my Mom. It was never a problem as far as gambling, it was more of the thrill. (They liked it, however that gene never made it inside me!)

The photo above was taken at Arlington race track in Arlington Heights, IL. What's interesting about this photo is---it was one of the first pictures I took with my favorite Nikon lens. (My father-in-law gave it to me and it has taken more pictures since its arrival than any other lens I own.) Also, if you look closely, the jockey is one of the few women who ride at the track; but what I like most about this picture is the teamwork between the horse and rider. Each one depends on each other and in the end isn't that what sports are all about?

Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

  1. We had horses growing up. I was the first to see our new foal early one morning. I would get up before dawn to ride. The guy who sold us the horses told my Dad to make us learn bareback. It's the best way to learn the "feel" of the horse. You learn to "talk" through your hands and really your entire body on the horse.
    It worked, I was riding our young Arab down a dirt path with a flume on one side and a gate was coming up, it was open, I relaxed. Then, it swung towards us. He had been open at a full run, and stopped instantly which meant a leap in the air. I had toes dug in under his legs and fistfulls of mane in my hands, I hung on.
    Hopefully I'll get to ride again some day.....

    ReplyDelete