Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Howdy.


This is the time of the year when people tend to be friendlier. Maybe it’s the holiday season, the anticipation of receiving and giving gifts, or perhaps the break that’s on the horizon to spend (hopefully) with family and friends.

There are many people however who will not fall into this last category. Pretty sad when you think about it and much sadder if it happens to be you on the outside looking in. Today I saw my first advertisement about having a New Year’s resolution; don’t want to shock you but it was all about finding that person who can make your life complete. It was for a match making service. But why do you have to wait? You can start a resolution before Dick Clark and Ryan Seacrest ring in 2010-- it doesn’t even have to be a new love, it can be all about making someone feel they are important enough to say “Hello”to. I promise, it’s not hard.

I have a habit of talking to people I don’t know, or plan to know, for any longer than the time we are in contact. Could be on an elevator, a train seat, or even walking down the street. I don’t think I make them too uncomfortable because they talk back to me---but then again, who knows?

One thing about photography, and I have mentioned this before in other “snapshot” blogs, is the ability to go up to a complete stranger, ask them if you can take their picture taken? Even when they say, “oh I look terrible” they still let you take it. Then, of course, they cannot wait to see their picture and usually ask if I will send it to them? Only once has someone said “No.” (I think he was hiding from his ex-wife. I am serious.)

The photo above was taken at Brookfield Zoo, one of my favorite places to take pictures. Giraffes are very curious about humans---I am not sure how nice they are one on one, but when they look down on you like this one did at me, what does it hurt, say “Howdy.” You just might make their day.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment