Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The 100-year flood. Again.


We have experienced something amazing. Since I moved to our neighborhood we have had 100-year floods 5 times. (Maybe six, I have stopped counting.) It usually starts with a day of steady rain and then a downpour like you can not believe; this must be what a hurricane looks like I always think, but the amount we get is far short of what states and coastal communities receive. For us that would be a 500-year flood.

This past weekend, sure enough we had another “100-year flood.” This time however I was not in town which places a greater fear in my mind due to the amount of flooding we have experienced over the years in our basement. The last one we had, brought more than a foot of sewer water into our basement; it was a Saturday, it seems to always be over the weekend, and it was just disgusting. For us, that was the final straw---we had to do something about it.

We made the decision to pull out the entire floor, re-pour the cement, add 3 sump pumps, and place drainage areas all around the house. The cost? It was ridiculous, but hopefully it will continue to be a very good investment.

I was talking with one of my neighbors on the train today and she was telling me she had been in Ireland when the rains started and stopped. She came home to some water in her basement, but nothing like the neighbor between us experienced. He received over 6 inches and had a royal mess to deal with. All I could say was, “Bob I am so sorry as we have all been there.” He told me enough is enough, and is going to get his basement fixed for good. I hope he is right as I hope we are right.

About 20 years ago, in St. Louis, the rains came. They came for many days. At that point in time I don’t think the city had ever experienced that much water; it rained for most of the summer. Highways were closed, houses floated away, and when it was all done, they made sure that the next time this would have a similar effect was 500 years from now. That would be 480 years or 2510 for those who are counting. I assume we will be long gone.

The photo above fortunately was taken on a trip to Vietnam; long known for a much different climate than what we have in the U.S., flooding is part of the region. We don’t own a boat, nor do I plan on purchasing one---that is unless we have that 1000 year flood that seems to one day be on the horizon.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment