Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

America the Beautiful.


Okay, I know it’s hokey, but when you are fortunate to see America from every region of the U.S. over a period of a few weeks, you learn we really do live in a beautiful country. Since July 1, I have been to the following states: Illinois, New York, Connecticut, New Jersey, California, Georgia, and Wisconsin. (If I have a grace period of 3 days, I will be able to add Pennsylvania and Delaware to the list as I will be there next week.)

No I am not running for office, this has been pretty much all job related.

No matter where I have travelled, I have been able to see some very cool sites; whether it was from the “Top of the Rock” in Rockefeller Center in NYC to Turner Field in Atlanta, GA to Lake Tahoe in Northern California---this has been a year to see quite a bit of the good ol’ U.S.A and what it has to offer. Yes, I did have my camera with me.

Probably the most pleasant surprise from my travels has been how engaging the people have been when I have travelled to “their” hometowns as a guest/visitor. Sometimes we forget we are the ones who are visiting; I always try to remember this as I experienced a very rude awakening a number of years ago in Europe when some of my fellow Americans reinforced why we are sometimes (often) perceived as being arrogant.

So what did I experience when I was traveling?

In New York I witnessed probably one of the most beautiful skylines in the world from more than 70 stories above the ground. In Atlanta, I sat in the 3rd row adjacent to the Milwaukee Brewers dugout (they were the visiting team) and in California I was able to experience the majesty of the mountains. If it were not for all of the mosquito’s I would likely have taken even more nighttime shots, but they were encouraging me to stay inside. I respected their request.

The photo above is one of many I took while in the Lake Tahoe region. The sun was going down and the colors on the mountain range were incredible; for me, this is something I never see at home, but then again, Californians don’t see what we have in Illinois. No matter where you travel, there is always something to be said about this country that reinforces its beauty---and when you do explore it, don’t forget to bring a camera with you.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment