Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Lens. Envy.


In general I am not an envious person. I have been very fortunate to have been given a lot of great things in life; from family to friends to finances. (The last one has been challenging, but I do believe there is always a bright light at the end of the tunnel.)

So what would someone like me possibly be envious about? Really nothing that I must have, but things I would love to be able to experience. Isn’t that what envy is really all about anyway?

Last week I was at the Atlanta Braves game. I had an absolutely killer seat---I knew exactly where it was going to be because I hand picked it on Stub Hub---nice people were sitting next to and around me, and the night was just spectacular. Okay, I will admit, I did have to move down from row 7 to row 3, I was alright with that, because there was one man who was in my visual path of the field. It was all right for a while, but he kept moving his head back and forth and it was getting in too many of the photos. Plus, he had purchased those well known tomahawk’s that the fans wave back and forth---that was getting in the was as she was right next to him. So I moved.

I was inches from the Milwaukee Brewers dugout. I am not kidding---inches. A great view and a look into the world of the players when they are not playing; they talk, chew sunflower seeds and basically just wait until there is something to do.

Then it happened.

It was probably in between the 6th and 7th inning when a young guy walked up with a Nikon camera and a lens that from the dugout could have touched the pitcher. I have never seen a lens so large made from Nikon. I have seen them for Canon cameras, they are the white ones at the NFL games, but never for Nikon.

I was in awe; I wanted to find out more about that lens, but in order to do so I would have to break the code of talking to someone in the dugout. That’s something you are not supposed to do and I was not going to do it. So, I took a picture. That lens is more than likely double the size of the lens I use---with all the bells and whistles on it, it probably sells for more than $60,000. If that was not enough to make me envious enough, look where he is located, in the dugout!!! Okay I am better now.

The photo above was, in fact, taken at the Atlanta Braves versus Milwaukee Brewers game. What I loved about being where I was sitting was the location and view into the world of professional sports. There is a huge difference between being on the field and in the dugout---as glamorous as it appears to be a big league ball player, there is a lot of down time. For the photographer however, it’s different. During the period of 2 to 3 hours at the ballpark, there is always something to take a picture of---that’s why I love shooting pictures. Even with my lens.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment