Search This Blog

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Good. Fortune.



In a previous “Snap. Shot.” I wrote about some friends of ours who adopted two girls from China; they are a beautiful, loving, and fortunate family.

Last week I spent time in the Lake Tahoe area with my sister and brother-in-law and their family. (Since this is my second marriage, and I am not the “original brother-in-law,” and vice versa, we refer to one another as “faux-bros.”) Their generosity and openness is very contagious. But not just with our family…they have “reached out” much further.

When Andrew (Faux-bro) and I were out buying a roof top carrier for their car, we had a long talk about family complexities. I will not go into it here, but he said, “You know, you write so often, you should write a book about the family.” I explained, “I would, but I enjoy being part of the family and I am sure that would end rather abruptly if I wrote a book.” Plus, everyone would think it was fiction.” It would not be.

Andrew and his wife Cami have been to hell and back. When I first met them, their daughter was fighting for her life; a difficult first meeting, and one that did not end on a good note as they lost their youngest to a horrific disease.

So what did they do? Not what most married people do who have been through a horrible loss---they pulled up their bootstraps and moved forward all the while keeping the love of their lost child in their hearts. If they have looked back, it doesn’t show---they are very forward and giving people.

It started with having another child---a beautiful little girl who is “quite an addition” to the family; she gets along very well with her older brother. (I will write about Ty in a future “Snap.Shot.”--- he is a very thoughtful and talented teenager…yes, a teenager.)

But that was not enough, they wanted to expand the family even further, so they adopted “Leo.” Although a challenge at first, aren’t all boys when they are young, I have witnessed Leo grow up and become one of the funniest, good-natured little boys I have been fortunate to know. He is also a gifted athlete---he is 4 years old. You can tell he just has it.

But that’s not the entire story. Leo was 10 months old when he became part of the family. Last week I learned he came from a foster home and to say his future would have been challenging is an understatement. For Leo and his family, life has dealt them a lot of cards---with his addition, he truly, and no pun intended, has created a “full house.” To meet all 3 of the kids, and to note the differences between them, there is a rare string that brings it all together; it’s very interesting to witness, and the best part is, all of the kids, including ours, get along.

The photo above is of Leo. He is a happy, good-natured little boy; he is curious, animated and very bright. If this were my child you would say I am just boasting about my kid, but he is my nephew and one I can not wait to see grow up. He will be able to look back and know what has happened to him in his life has been a real blessing---in other words, “Good. Fortune” for the entire family.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment