Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Superman and other famous people who live in our town.


As far as the number of celebrities in Chicago, and its surrounding suburbs, our community would probably be fairly low on the list for the highest number. We do have a lot of important executives who probably run their companies, but as far as the really well known sports and entertainment celebrities, you won’t see them around Glen Ellyn.

If you are looking for Chicago Bull’s players, you have to live in the Northern suburbs—that’s where the Bull’s practice facility is located. Michael Jordan had a home, I assume it’s no longer his, in an area about 8 miles from where I used to live. There are hotels that are smaller than his former home---I was never asked inside so I am not sure how many rooms it had. I do know, and this was because I used to work on the Sub-Zero refrigerator business, that he had more than 25 refrigerators in the house. A combination of kitchen refrigerators and refrigerator drawers that were located in his bedroom, bathroom and other areas of the house; you need to have at least 25 refrigerators when you are the spokesperson for Gatorade, McDonald’s and other food companies. I am sure it was a tax right off then.

Thinking about hockey? Live in the city. Most of the Blackhawks are under 25 years of age---like the entire team---so they live where they play; both the game and their social life. I am not sure about baseball, soccer or other sports---but I do know many celebrities live on the Gold Coast. I have seen Oprah out and about, Mia Hamm (she used to live in the ‘burbs until they moved) and a few other stars. But all in all, if you don’t look for them, they are not hanging out at the bus stop.

Back to Glen Ellyn.

Even though we don’t have a lot of celebrities, we do have some interesting people. In the heart of our downtown we have a food pantry that serves the homeless. When I first moved to the area I was a bit surprised, but when you live here, you realize they just are part of the scenery and community. I have given money to some of them before, my first real boss said to me years ago---“Mark, be thankful you are not in need the same way they are.” I have never forgotten.

The photo above is of a local man---he is in his 40s---who dresses up like Superman for events. I would not be telling the truth if I said he was not a bit odd---there have been stories about him, of which I have no idea if they are true, but as part of the fixture of our community he is dubbed, “Superman” no matter where he goes. I have seen him at local bars, and even though he is not in character, he is still known as “Superman.” He does not have a Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, or Perry White hanging out with---it’s not easy seeing people who are down on their luck or homeless. I do know by being in our area, they are in a much better place than they would be if they were in other areas throughout Chicago. The only time it gets dicey for Superman is when the Kryptonite comes out---but then again, he just dresses up as the “man of steel" he's not real.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment