Search This Blog

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Cooks in the kitchen.


I have never really enjoyed cooking. I think part of it stems from when I was young and overweight. I know this might sound odd, but when I finally lost weight I put a lot of the interest in food behind me. I still enjoy it, and I do see my weight fluctuate, but I suspect I knew if I spent too much time preparing food, I would probably be eating it as well.

My favorite meals are usually really easy to prepare. I love turkey sandwiches, and now with a Panini maker, it adds a completely new dimension to the “usual turkey on rye.” I also love soup. I know this sounds boring, but you can thank my Mom and Dad for this. My Mom made really good soup, and my Dad would order it a lot when he went to restaurants. It was funny, it was never hot enough for him so he would frequently send it back and ask them, once they became a common staple in the kitchen, to put it in the microwave. There have been a few times when the soup has come back and I am surprised it didn’t melt the spoon it was so hot. (I am sure the chef had something to do with that.)

One thing that always seems interesting to me is how the really famous and well-known chef’s in general are men. I am not sure why this has occurred, but for some reason it just seems to be the way it is. With some of the cooking shows having grown in popularity, there has been an introduction of more women into the world of celebrity cooking, which based upon the number of cooks you find out there, really does make sense. I am not being sexist, just look at the number of cookbooks that have been authored by women, they are great cooks.

I think part of the reason I don’t enjoy cooking involves the meal preparation. I am fine with barbecuing, but spending hours to create a meal just doesn’t interest me, and I would not expect anyone else to be interested in spending hours either. But I am wrong. People feel like cooking is an artistic expression at times---I say go for it!

The photo above is of two of our daughters and my wife preparing a birthday cake. The view from above makes it look like there is very little mess, but a wide angle would prove cooking is fun, but requires a lot of dishes, pans, and commitment. I will take a soup and sandwich please.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment