Search This Blog

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Weather or not.


I love clouds. I think we all have probably played the cloud game in our lives; I have seen clouds that look like dinosaurs, Mickey Mouse, and even Snoopy. What I like most about the game is it uses your imagination---when I was a kid I wanted to take pictures of what I saw. I never did.

I would have to go back to my grade school days, but we learned about all the different types of clouds---I learned about Cumulus, Cirrus, and Stratus. I had no idea, of what I recall, that there were different types of clouds. They didn’t have a cartoon, person, or animal associated with it, so that's probably why I had a difficult time once the test hit the desk.

One thing I do know about clouds is they often times contain rain water. Probably one of the most interesting visuals is to see clouds off in the distance with long “string like" lines heading downward. This would be what is know as rain of course and you can see it when you when you are traveling on highways or from points that are very far away. I love this visual.

It’s when you fly through clouds that you realize their power; when it’s one of the gigantic “Cumulonimbuses” clouds, you know a one that's 10 miles from end-to-end, it has got to be different than the fluffy cotton balls we think they look like.

The photo above was take in Lake Tahoe; like an enormous cloud rising from behind a wall, this cloud bank turned out the be harmless. I do believe if it had packed its bags and moved to Chicago, it would have wreaked havoc in our area. For some reason clouds behave differently when they come to our neck of the woods—as far as I am concerned, they are more than welcome to be on vacation somewhere else as we now have more water than we know what to do with.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment