Search This Blog

Sunday, August 1, 2010

A long way from my Schwinn Continental.


Before we learned to drive, and after we crawled and walked, our way of travelling from point A to point B, is usually by bike. Often times seen as kid’s vehicles, the bikes of old are nothing like the bikes today.

I had several bikes growing up of what I remember; I had a tricycle, I think it was red, and several two-wheelers---the ones I remember were a blue bike with a “blue banana” seat on it. It sparkled and it was very cool. Then I graduated to a brown Schwinn 10-speed Continental. I remember it was brown because it is still stored in the house I grew up in. It has flat tires, cobwebs, and peeling tape on the handlebars---but it is the same bike I rode before I could drive. I loved that bike, however I really never understood the gears and how to make the most of how to take advantage of them.

Kids today don’t seem to depend on their bikes the way I did when I was growing up. Our kids ride their bikes, but when I was young, those were my wheels; today they share these wheels with their parent’s wheels (cars)---but these were the "wheels" I depended on and what took me into other neighborhoods around where I lived. One of our daughters rides her bike, however it is broken more than it works---she leaves it outside, kids have taken it to ride, and has been blessed with its normal amount of abuse. It’s a good bike---we are not going to get rid of it, but like her cell phone, she needs to understand that you take care of what takes care of you.

This past weekend, I shot pictures at the Alexian Brothers International Cycling Classic. Unbeknownst to me, this was a big time race that took place over 2.5 days in a nearby suburb. Because the crowds were not large, it allowed me access to wherever I wanted to go; it was obvious fans were very pleased to have this race in the area. I was, and I am not even a fan. For more than 5 hours I took pictures and learned a lot about cycling. For example, I had no idea you needed a license to ride, or how you earned points to be come a professional, and sadly how low the purses are when you win.

When I think about baseball, basketball and other athletes making tens, if not hundreds of thousands a game, the winner of the race received a paltry $9,000. In this world that is considered a lot of money. These athletes are in remarkable shape---they raced for 3.5 hours at full pace, and you could tell, they love this sport. In the end the love is what makes it so appealing.

The photo above was taken at the start of the last race; it’s when the professional riders take to the course---96 miles of adrenaline, guts and determination. When you are taking photos of these athletes, you not only know they are coming by you at a quick pace, you feel it. If you have a chance to attend a race, go for it---you will see the world has come a long way from the bikes with the Huffy, Schwinn, and Sears label on it.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment