Search This Blog

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Life in the bloodstream.


Life in the bloodstream.

Ain't it hard when you discover,

Your energy has to leave you for another,

Don't it make you wanna lay down and cry


When they tell you it's time you have to die.”

-Burton Cummings, The Guess Who.

For the vast majority of us, this is probably the first time you have seen the above lyrics. The same is true for me, however I have known this song for more than 35 years, I just didn’t know the real lyrics.

The song is all about life and what is passed on from one person to another; what an important role we have in life. Over the past year I have learned a lot about living;the good, the hard and the tragic. I feel like I have completely exposed myself as I wrote about my Mom’s illness, family, and the individuals who have made are in my life. From my parents, to my kids, to my wife and the many people who I have crossed paths with. “Snap.Shot.” has been one of the most rewarding and challenging experiences I have encountered---I am really glad I saw that damn movie, “Julie and Julia.”

The one thing I have learned about life is to appreciate it. Without it you have nothing, with it you have everything. Sure there are bumpy roads, but luckily they do smooth out along the way; I believe what I have learned most is to take the bumpy roads and learn from them. One thing I have tried to apply in life is it’s okay to make mistakes---just try not to make the same ones more than once. When you do make them a few times---really do your best to not make it a habit.

Some of my favorite “Snap.Shot.” entries were, “The Unexpected Call. (http://mrosenbaum123.blogspot.com/2009/09/unexpected-call.html) when we met my Mom’s caregiver, Anise, “We all have our heroes,”

(http://mrosenbaum123.blogspot.com/2009/09/we-all-have-our-heroes.html) which was about my Dad. Yes there were countless entries but some had to stand out from the others. There is little doubt the most difficult one to write, and the one I have read many times, was the one about my Mom passing away. I learned she was gone when I was on the train commuting home, probably the longest ride home I have ever encountered.

I love life; yes there are times when it just sucks and it sucks everything out of you, but then you turn around and you are sucked right back into it. I live for both---but enjoy the better side much more. As I am nearing the end of a year writing--- I am doing everything I can to realize it’s almost over. Part of me can’t wait for it to end, the other part of me knows I am going to miss it. I have to keep reminding myself, I can always write more when I feel like it.

The photo above says a lot about “Snap.Shot.” When I started writing I needed a lot of handholding. I needed the reassurance that my reasoning for writing was not outlandish. Then I started to hear from people who said I was helping their days move forward by providing them a fresh start to their day---in the end, I believe all has evened out and together we are walking along enjoying the journey we have taken together.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment