Search This Blog

Friday, August 6, 2010

America’s bird.


It’s hard to believe the symbol of America was almost a turkey. Sure they are fine birds, but with their skin hanging down, and their inability to fly over the land, they really don’t bring too much to the American spirit. Yes to the dinner table and leftover sandwiches, but that’s really about it.

Up until recently I had not really seen a Bald Eagle in any environment. I know they are found near rivers to the north of us, and my father-in-law has told me they migrate near his home in Idaho, but since I don’t live near either location, they didn’t hang out in our front yard with the Robins, occasional Cardinals, and other random birds. I wish they did.

There must be something very appealing about being the symbol of our country; whether it’s the Bald Eagle, apple pie, or even Chevrolet---being synonymous with such an important country as the U.S. must put you on a power trip. Sure we have French fries, Italian bread, English muffins, but they don’t even come close.

I was in Philadelphia this past week and I saw symbols of America all over the place; whether it was the buildings in downtown Philadelphia, the images of the Liberty Bell (I didn’t see the real one) or reminders of the role this city played before Washington D.C. took it over, was quite impressive. It was when I crossed the border into Delaware and was reminded I was entering the oldest and first state of the Union, that I realized I was far from home. History lives in this region---it was fun to be a part of it.

I am very proud to be an American. Yes we have our faults and views on a lot of things---but as I drove around I was very happy to be on American soil and not another country’s.

There is something to being free that we really do take for granted---stepping back in time, and knowing that Valley Forge was only a few exits away, made me feel like I had missed a lot in my life.

The photo above was taken recently at a local zoo. Having never seen a Bald Eagle, I had to ask where they were housed---when I saw them, I felt a rush. It was discomforting to see them in a cage, but it was wonderful to be only a few feet away from a powerful symbol of our country. Funny, every Thanksgiving I am much closer to what could have been the replacement---glad I am not having an Eagle for lunch.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment