Search This Blog

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Bumper Stickers.


We recently became one of the families who must enjoy expressing their opinions on the outside of their cars. We are the proud bearer of 2 bumper stickers. It was not my idea, it was one of my daughters---I know which one.

The first sticker lets the world know we are a diving family. Although I was not there, when they went to Asia this past spring, scuba diving (with tanks and all) was one of the activities they did. They trained, were certified, and spent hours in the ocean. Now our town, and anyone who sees our SUV, is well aware---we (they) are divers. I am fine with it---it’s a cool activity and one most of us have likely not done. I haven’t at least.

The second bumper sticker is a quote from Gandhi---Lord help me.

Recently, after our trip to California, in addition to dirty clothes, screwed up time zones, and memories brought home with us---that same daughter brought back a new way of thinking back with her. She wants to practice, in part, Buddhism. In addition, she wants to eat only grass-fed meat, organic fruits and vegetables and food that has not been “washed” in ammonia. When she first came home, and started to explain her newfound way of life---at 13—I listened. Somewhat. Then as she went on to tell me everything I was doing was wrong---as far as what I was putting in my body, the way animals are treated, etc—I then half listened. Okay, maybe I caught every 7th word. I do respect her interest in this lifestyle change, but I really don’t see myself making the changes. I like meat, I like junk food, and am fine with what goes in my body. I might learn differently, but for now----give me a steak and it doesn’t have to be grass fed.

Back to bumper stickers.

Pretty soon we will see more and more bumper stickers affixed to cars throughout America. It’s hard to believe, but the Presidential elections are not that far away and bumpers far and wide will be well primed to carry the messages throughout the land. It might be for a Proposition trying to be passed in California, a pressing issue here in the Midwest, and countless Senate, Congressional and local races throughout all 50 states. But, the granddaddy of them all will be for the Presidential race. Some will be comical, others will be right to the point, and some will be in between. During the last Presidential race, a common bumper sticker focused on “1-20-09.” This was the day George W. Bush would be leaving office. They were able to produce these well in advance as he had finished serving his second term—even if it was not part of our constitution, I don’t think he would have been re-elected.

I believe I discussed this in a previous “Snap.Shot.” but one of the funniest bumper stickers I have ever seen was on a car (I guess it was a car---actually a real beater) read, “Don’t Laugh, Your Daughter Might Be In This Car.” Although more than 30 plus years ago---it stands out as the one that made me laugh and tell a lot of other people about what I had seen.

The photo above was taken in Indiana a few months ago. I am sure she doesn’t practice “witchcraft” and I have no idea what her sexual interests are, but she sure let’s people know her feelings about going to church. Only in America can we make statements that reflect our point of view on a bumper sticker---and not feel the repercussions. I am proud to say, we are now doing the same on our car---I will assume Gandhi must have been a diver.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment