Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Thank you.


When I was growing up, we were in-between wars until I was about 8 years old. There had been many threats to the U.S.---Cold War, Bay of Pigs, and so forth, but all in all, we were at peace. It was not until the Vietnam War erupted that I, as an American, received a small taste of what war was all about. I saw it from a young child looking at 18 year olds, and their families, sweating out the pulling of the draft numbers. I didn’t really grasp it all, but as I look back on these times as an adult, I have a better understanding. All in all, it was not a great time in American history, but in many respects it was one of the best.

What?

The downside of war of course is the loss of life or, and I am not sure which really is worse, the lasting effects of combat. Whether physical or mental, many soldiers returned with scars that would end up never healing. For me, I am not sure which would be worse---I assume if you are still alive that beats the alternative. I am sure there are many veterans who might disagree. I really don’t know because I grew older during peaceful years and I doubt there would be much interest of having a 50-year-old+ man on the front lines. I have never shot a gun before, probably not the best time to learn.

In the early 1970s, America went through a huge transition; because of the baby boom that had occurred after WWII, many of the children from these families were of age and they let it be known, through protests and voting, that this was not going to work for them any longer. There needed to be change. The Vietnam War and other social unrest created such tensions in our land that I have to believe secession, on behalf of those under 30, was a considered. Thankfully it didn’t happen.

So where are we now? Well, this past spring my wife and kids went to Vietnam; they didn’t go as soldiers, they went as visitors to the country. Yesterday there was an article on line that reviewed how the relationship between the U.S. and Vietnam had become closer than it has been in many years. This was a country that divided our country---it’s amazing how time does heal a lot of the deepest wounds. Of what I have heard about Vietnam---there has been some change, but the country is still very rural, and the poverty still quite visible.

Probably the images that were etched deepest in a young person’s mind during this time of war, was how the soldiers came home to our land. They were treated not as heroes in many respect, but as villains; how unfair is that? I am pretty sure most people do not enjoy going to war with another country---and going to another land to risk your life is probably not a choice they would have made. But, when your number is called, and you have to make the sacrifice, it takes extreme bravery to answer the call.

The photo above was taken at Midway Airport recently. When I exited the plane, I heard music and the area filled commotion. Mind you, this is an airport. Remember security? The ceremony was to welcome WWII Veterans back from a trip to Washington D.C. to visit the WWII memorial. I think it’s only fitting that this trip was given to them at no charge---we have to remember, they had another trip to a distant land they were not charged for either. Unfortunately many of these soldiers were never able to take the trip home. So for all of the soldiers who have done what I have not done, I would like to say, “Thank you.” We will never forget your courage and bravery in making our land safe and free.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment