Search This Blog

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Remembering 9/11.


We are less than a month away from the 9th anniversary of that horrific day; like most of us, this is a day we will never forget no matter how badly we would like to put it behind us.

Today’s blog isn’t about September 11, 2001, it’s about the flying machines that made this day---similar to December 7th, 1941--- a day that will live in infamy.

This past weekend, the city of Chicago continued to run smoothly even though there were airplanes whizzing by the buildings and darting around the lakeshore. If you have been to Chicago during the annual “Air & Water Show,” you know these planes mean business and to those on the ground watching, they are very entertaining. I am not sure how the pilots handle the pressure of near misses, flying upside down, and slicing through the skies in formation---but they do. It’s amazing.

This past week, I vowed not to go to this event because the crowd size was predicted to reach at least 2 million. I am not a huge fan of crowds, but we decided to go; we even went against the advice of the city and drove in. I was shocked how easy it was to maneuver through this potential mess--we made it to the city faster than we normally would with or without an extra 2 million people hanging around.

The airplanes are amazing. There really is no better way to explain it. I was talking with a guy, who was sitting near us, and he knew a lot about planes, and he told me some of the planes would be topping 500 miles an hour as they flew overhead. It’s one thing when they are flying across the globe, but these planes were flying a couple of miles and then turning back to wow the audience.

After we had been on the beach for 3 hours, we discussed leaving. I told someone nearby who I was talking with and she said, “You are leaving before the Blue Angels?” I said, “Are they really that good?” She couldn’t get out her response out fast enough---that was all we needed to hear. We stayed and it was well worth it. They are incredible---they are epitome of jet fighters---they zip, twirl and literally rip through the sky. I was glad we listened to her recommendation---and I am glad my wife convinced me to go.

The photo above reminds me of 9/11---as we sat in horror and watched planes plow into buildings, we saw our lives change in a way we will never be able to forget. Frankly, if we ever have a day like September 11th again---I want to see these men and women go after the bad guys. They will wish they never thought about attacking the USA.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment