Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The quietest house on Halloween.


Yesterday some of us were talking about some property located on the southern side of the village where we live. It’s about 4 miles away from our home. About 4 years ago they tore down a building that had been on this ground for many years; they built a miniature golf course and playground area for kids in its place.

When I asked about the building that had been there prior to these changes, a deep breath by the person I was talking with actual fear in his voice I was told the building was thought to be haunted. I said, “Sure.” Funny thing is, he was serious. It had been unoccupied for many years and as the weeds grew tall so did the stories that went along with it.

I was told kids who were the bravest in school would never go near it; that the rumors of weird things happening ran rampant. All in all, here I was, standing on the grounds of an area where they were sure dead people used to hang out and no one was willing to laugh it off as a joke. I am sure there are many areas of the country where similar situations occur---I know it’s not really happening, but then again, you just never know. At least according to these people.

This is one of the reasons I hate scary movies. I know when you are sitting in your seat and others are around you that you could not be any safer. However, it’s the lead-in’s that just kill me; combine the music, the suspense, and the “unknowing” and it really does play on your emotions. At least mine. I remember the house next door to our home had an unexpected death occur long ago---sure enough kids would come around and point and say, “there’s where she died and I am sure I saw blood.” Funny thing about this story, it happened more than 40 years ago. I guess there are some things you never forget.

The photo above was taken along Highway 55 traveling from St. Louis back to Chicago. Over the years I had seen this home from a distance and always wondered about its heritage. Although I don’t have any information to tell you, one day I did get off at the exit and drove around to see what it looked like from the back. I could only see a very tall structure---it was dark. I knew I had gotten as close as I wanted and knew if I lived in this area growing up, which I did not, this was one house I would never visit on Halloween.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment