Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Sometimes I feel like, somebody’s watching me.


No I am not feeling paranoid, that’s the name of a song that’s in my head right now. Well, maybe I am paranoid about that? No, just kidding. It was on the car radio last night, and as I have experienced (as we all have) it just kind of sticks with you until finally it goes away. I am very hopeful it will be removed from my head quite soon!

Last night I was watching a news program that used undercover cameras to see how people would react to situations. One of the segments was about flirtatious waiters and waitresses (they were actors) and either the man or woman at the table was in on what was happening. It was the third person that had no idea, and it was all designed to see how they would respond. That was interesting, however the best segment was about people parking in handicapped spaces; when a handicapped person wanted to park, and refused to give up their space that’s when it became interesting. Again, all actors, but the pedestrians were real.

I am very happy to report, people were really pissed when this happened. Of course there were some who walked by, but there were many who got in the face of these two young girls and read them the riot act. That’s the way it should be. As I always say to my kids, “you are only two feet away from the store, movie theater or restaurant---your right and left one.” My kids hate when I say it, but it’s true.

But there are times when you feel you are being watched and to say it is uncomfortable is quite an understatement. When I take photos for example at a professional sporting event, zoo, or wherever, I know people are looking at the camera and wondering, “what do the pictures look like?” How do I know? They will often approach and ask---or I can see them looking at me take photos. I will always break the ice and say, “Would you like to see the photos?” They are always caught off guard and they always, I mean always, want to look. The funny part is when they hold the camera---they put more care into than they would a child.

When I go to sporting events, like any photographer you hope for THE shot. The one that you would not normally find at an average game; when I was at Turner Stadium in Atlanta a few weeks ago, it was a pretty average game. No bean balls, no bench clearing brawls, no one ran on the field---so I looked around to see if I could find something interesting. I did take pictures of the guys who run around in the ridiculous sponsor outfits---Home Depot is the sponsor so I saw hammers, saws, and a giant Homer (their mascot)---and of course the cheerleaders who throw shirts in the stands. Not theirs, these are t-shirts that must have tremendous value. Or at least with the way people dive for them, you would think they do.

The photo above is part of the on-goings at the stadium. With every Atlanta Braves batter, they put their photo---electronically---on the back wall. The new baseball technology at work. What I liked about this photo was how the image was half a head, and the Brewers player was completely oblivious to what was taking place behind him. If only he knew---there was someone watching and hoping to hit the ball past him.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment