Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Happy Birthday Dad.


Today is my Father’s birthday. I realize we all have birthdays, and my Dad has had more than I have had---but no one, and I mean no one, deserves to have his birthday celebrated more this year than my Dad.

I have written about him in previous “Snap.Shot’s.” I wrote about his upbringing, the time I hit him in the head with a curve ball and the seams were visible on his forehead (when the ball broke downward it was a thing of beauty until he missed it with his glove), and one of my favorite entries, when I wrote about his being my hero. I can tell you those words could never ring more true.

My Dad was born in 1928---for those of you doing math, he turned 82 today. So what did he learn in the past year---or who says you can’t teach an old Dad new tricks. (You didn’t think I was going to call him a dog did you??) Probably the most dynamic change my Dad encountered was losing his wife, my Mom, of nearly 60 years. Can you imagine spending that much time with one person? I can---they were in love.

So what did he learn?

My Dad learned how to grocery shop and many of the tricks needed to maneuver through the store. He learned for example not to buy too much because it spoils and as he has told me, “you just toss it away.” He learned they will actually cook your food for you at the local grocery store---all you have to do is ask. And the best thing he learned---was how to cook. Here is a man who was not sure how to make noodles---and now he makes a mean meal!

But he won’t be making too many meals this week, I learned he is booked with birthday dinners ---the man is very thin, perhaps this is the way to make him “plump.” (Nope, ain’t likely to happen.)

The one thing I can say about my Dad is he is one heck of a nice man. I have seen him angry before, but I would say over the past 5 decades of my life, I could probably count the number of times he yelled on one hand. I sometimes do 2 hands worth of yelling in a day…I missed his gene on that one.

Now, I know this is asking a lot, and I don’t want to burden you, but if you are reading “Snap. Shot” tonight, would you send an e-mail wishing my Dad a Happy Birthday. His e-mail address is: Srosen4638@aol.com. He doesn’t quite get this blogging stuff, I don’t really either, but it would be fun if he got a note. Actually he would be shocked.

The photo above was taken at my Dad’s 80th birthday party. It was a wonderful time and as I look at this photo I just can’t believe how much has happened since this picture was taken. Dad, you are the #1 in my life---I cannot thank you for all you have done for me and my family. I know I spoke with you today, and I did tell you I would be writing about you in “Snap.Shot.,” but I want you to know I love you and Happy Birthday!

Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

  1. Please extend my wishes for a happy 83rd year to your dad from me.

    Best,

    Laurene

    ReplyDelete