Search This Blog

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Glory Days.


“Glory days well they'll pass you by

Glory days in the wink of a young girl's eye

Glory days, glory days.”

--Bruce Springsteen

Recently I “re-connected” with a few people who I went to high school with; we were in the same class, but I can honestly say, I remembered them, but I am reasonably sure they didn’t remember me. I am fine with it, I didn’t think they would have--- but on a social site like Facebook, when you find someone who you really did know, and you “friend” them, you hear from other people as well. That’s what happened to me.

I was a bit surprised when I heard from some people---I mean, they could not have been impressed with my picture on the site, it’s of 2 giraffes. I don’t think that would make people want to say hello.

After thinking about it, I looked at a number of the “friends” on their lists. I saw a lot of familiar names and some people looked very good, and well we all know the other side---many didn’t. But that’s okay, I was really not that interested. Okay, I was, so sue me.

What was amazing to me was how these same people, the ones we viewed as unapproachable (I was not cool), were suddenly living normal lives. We placed them on this ridiculous pedestal, and they saw themselves as looking up at the same one. I heard from one old school friend, and she told me how shy she really was. Since this was through instant messaging, I had to re-read her comment. She was shy? I never knew.

When we are in our wonder years, glory days and at the end of the innocence, we are sure no one is going through the same feelings we are; social sites like Facebook are proving this to be not the norm. When you do re-connect, you learn a lot about people. Although it may have taken 30 years to get to this point… you learn they are just as normal as you are and in many instances they now look at you and think, “I wish I knew him/her back in high school—and vice versa.”

The photo above is what a lot of my former high school(ers) looked like when they were in their glory years. They were athletic, popular and at the top of the class. As we learn more about their lives, it’s good to know they are doing well—it’s better to know the playing field has been leveled.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment