Search This Blog

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Hang a left.


With 3 drivers in our household, our middle daughter is starting to discuss when she will be sliding in behind the wheel. I keep telling her, I don’t care who is getting driver’s lessons, you still are not going to have them until your are 15 and a half. I still can’t believe kids are able to get their license at such a young age.

When I was growing up, it was my Dad who took the burden of teaching us kids how to drive; in some respects he was the bravest man in the world, but there are other times when I had to question whether he was crazy, or not, to let the person who was learning behind the wheel. I will not mention any names, both my brother and sister read, “Snap. Shot.,” but I think we all 3 know who I am referring to.

Probably one of the greatest fears of being the parent in the car is when a sudden move is made when know one is expecting it. That could be the passenger, person travelling behind you in a car, or worse yet---the driver. A quick turn or an unexpected maneuver is all it takes to make s Sunday afternoon out for a drive, into the ride from hell, I have experienced both and I know which one I prefer.

We all have to learn before we venture out on to the roads---what it really the most frightening is when you are certain the person is not ready to be handed over the keys. I should know, I don’t know if I was ready when I was 16—and I drove alone on my birthday with my driver’s license in my wallet. A level of pride on one hand---a level of fear on the other. The first night I can very close to having an accident, I still remember it today.

The photo above was take at the air and water show practice runs on Friday. As a team, these planes fell into formation and entertained a crowd a fraction of the size that will be watching on Saturday and Sunday; with the way they made their sudden turns, I am very glad there was not a police officer waiting for them.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment