Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Understanding.


If you read “Snap. Shot.” on a regular basis you may have taken note I rarely write about my wife, Susan. It’s not like I am purposefully avoiding her, I have been waiting to save the best for last. I still have several days left before I go on hiatus, but I felt today was an important day to talk about her. There will be more blogs about her—she deserves it.

Susan and I met a number of years ago when she worked at an advertising agency and I was selling advertising in magazines. She was my best friend’s girlfriend’s roommate (Did you follow that?) and I barely knew her. Over the years I would see her at agencies she worked at, and we would say hello, ask how things were going and small chitchat. When you see someone every 2 or 3 years, life revolves around chitchat and really nothing more.

One thing I always noted about her was her ability to listen and genuinely care about what you were saying. That is a rare trait—one I don’t always possess. Hey just being honest here. Several years later I got to know her better as we started to do business with one another and I learned about her kids, love of photography and life in general. She worked hard and loved her kids; I will never forget on her desk was a photo she took of her two little girls---one I still see in our home today. It’s a great picture---it has the softness Susan brings to photography, the unique angles that make it a “wow,” and the feeling she has for these two little girls who are now in their teens.

The ability to listen and understand is not only a rare trait---it’s infectious…Susan is a very strong person and has dealt with many personal challenges/tragedies. Frankly, I don’t know how she does it---but then again, she puts up with me, so that should tell you a lot right there.

When I first told her I was considering writing a blog she encouraged me to do it; I am sure in the back of her mind she probably thought I would have a difficult time writing every day. She was right, but over time it becomes something you look forward to. Especially when you hear from people who tell you how your words have had an effect on their day and how they have lived similar situations. Life is not that unique---we just have to find ways to express ourselves.

Probably the most important blog I ever wrote was the day Susan called me on the train and told me my Mom had passed away. Certainly that was a very difficult phone call to make, and to receive, but it would only be someone like Susan who could deliver it to me in a way that made me feel all was going to be okay.

Why? She understands.

The photo above is what Susan is all about. With our youngest daughter she is at eye level and talking to her---her face says she has compassion and our daughter looking down let’s me know she is hearing every word Susan is saying. When you understand, you are the most important person in the world. That’s Susan.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment