Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The lifeline.


Typically, when I think about lifelines, I will usually visualize Regis Philbin on “Who wants to be a Millionaire” and the three he used to give to contestants who were in the “hot seat.”

Lifelines are now part of our every day speak; whether it’s a lifeline when human beings literally hold on to one another for support bringing another person to safety, or a virtual lifeline when you know someone is in need and you help them out in anyway you can. Either way, this act of understanding and kindness is the true “paying it forward” in life.

Throughout life we all perform acts of kindness that could be seen as “little lifelines.” It might be a person on the street who needs money, a lost child who needs his Mom and Dad, or a home on the street where protection is promised when safety is in question. Regardless of the situation, it is always important to know a lifeline is out there.

Today we learned of an event where a lifeline was put out there and a good deed occurred---but there was an unbelievable end to the story. I lifeguard in Wisconsin saved a person's life; the life guard was injured in the process. When he was taken by ambulance to the hospital, the lifeguard was presented with a bill for the ambulance---and the county will not help out. Needless to say, the last thing this young man will have to pay is his bill, the outreach has been overwhelming and all will be taken care of.

We all have our lifelines in life. Some take full credit for their good deed, and some like the late George Steinbrenner gave under one condition---you could not tell he had done the good deed. We learned of a number of stories when he recently passed away.

I have been blessed with a lot of lifelines in my life. I too have tried to be a lifeline to others. But most important, to those who have helped me out, thank you I never could have done it with out you. To those that I have helped, please play the George Steinbrenner role—I don’t want credit just please do something for some one else.

The photo above was taken near Lake Michigan. What I like most about this photo is the orange line leading to the building. Just like when we are lost at times, knowing there is a lifeline out there let’s us go back to the safety and security of shore. There are many people who I would like to thank for their help during the past year I have been writing “Snap. Shot.” You know who you are and all I can say is thank you. I will never forget the lifeline you have thrown out to me---and I will take your generosity to a very important next step.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment