Search This Blog

Thursday, September 17, 2009

We all have our heroes.


I would have to travel way back in time, but I do remember the assignment about writing about the person "who is your hero." I think today it might be "someone you admire, look up to, or have tremendous respect for as an individual." The word , "hero" may no longer be PC.

If you read my blog on a regular basis, or have read it just one time, you know I will often tell a real story and then focus on the photo that accompanies the blog. Today, for this one time only, I am going to change the order of things.

The photo above was taken at a Chicago Bull's game earlier this year. My reason for being at the game was 2 fold; I wanted to watch the Bulls play the Detroit Pistons (one of the better teams in the league at that point in time---although they folded late in the season) and to take pictures. Unbeknownst to me, the night was also about honoring one of Chicago's heroes, Johnny "Red" Kerr. "Red" Kerr was a sportscaster, player and former coach of the Bulls---I had had the opportunity to meet Mr. Kerr a number of times as he had a restaurant near our office for many years. The food was good enough that he actually ate there all of the time! In the picture, he is the one in the wheel chair. Also, in the crowd that night were Michael Jordan (in the green jacket to the left), Scottie Pippen, and on screen, President Barack Obama. For many Chicagoans, as well as millions around the world, these men serve as heroes.

That night the person who I look up to most was not in the United Center, he was at home 317 miles away.

When we were given the assignment in grade school I honestly don't remember who I wrote about. Chances are it was a St. Louis Cardinal or St. Louis Blues player. When you are younger, these are the heroes in your life. As you grow up, and we all do, we often change our perspective on who we deem as a "hero." It might still be someone in sports, a religious leader, celebrity (need to be careful on who you select these days) or the President of the United States no matter your political affiliation.

For me, it's my Dad.

My Dad exemplifies the "strong silent type." For most of my life my Dad has been the constant in our lives; he was a loving husband, a provider and someone you could sit down and talk with about "most" any topics. Just "most topics" as I am not sure I have discussed everything with him. Sorry Dad.

When my Mom became ill earlier this year, my Dad moved to the forefront in the household and still continued his other commitments. Why? He knew his role, and knew my Mom, who had been the cook, bill payer and primary social calendar setter, was no longer going to be able to handle any of these responsibilities---most likely ever again. My Dad was always a proficient barbecuer and vegetable grower, but beyond that, his cooking was fairly limited. No longer. The guy can cook!

During these past 5 months my Dad has remained rock solid. Sure he has had his moments when he sheds tears, needs to talk, or be a human being (we all have these times), but if you ask him "how he is doing?" he consistently says, "I am doing fine." He then asks, "How are you doing?" His question provides the assurance that someone is "minding the store." In addition to my Dad taking on a leading role, my brother has done the same. (You deserve the recognition bro whether you think so or not.) But this blog is not about you, it's about Dad :)

Being a Father happens. You know that when a baby comes into your life that it's for a lifetime, and you will always be their father; being a Dad (or Mom) on the other hand is different. It's a role you choose; one you have to constantly work at for a lifetime. You are the one your kids look up to, depend on, and seek advice from when challenges are thrown their way. By the way, these are the same kids who also yell and criticize you and are sure you don't have the brains to understand what is really happening. Good news is, they learn the truth when they become a parent.

For me, my Dad continues to be someone who I need as my role model, confidant, and rock that I lean on. This weekend marks the start of the new year in our religion. Whether it's applicable to your beliefs or not, I want to wish my Dad a Happy New Year with hopes that it turns out better than this past one. If for some reason it turns out to be just as challenging, I know one thing---my Dad is up for the task.

Thanks Dad. You are my hero.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment