Search This Blog

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Table for one.


There have been many days and nights when I am on the road and have been asked when I enter a restaurant, "How many are in my party?" I am not sure where this question evolved because I have often found it's really not a party when you go to lunch or dinner. I have said, "Just a table for one." I am not sure if the big "L" on my forehead sends a sign of a loser, loner, or lost person but for me, I am okay with it. When I am on the road I like to work, eat and take pictures. (My camera is my date.)

My family thinks this is odd. Especially at professional sporting events. Sure I like to be with other people, there are times when I am with 50,000 of them. I just don't know them or care to know them. But at the end of most games I'll turn to those around me and ask..."Would you like a CD of the pictures from the game?" Most are so shocked when I ask. Their response, "How much do you want for them?" I always reply, "You were so nice by not saying I was bugging or blocking your view that it's my pleasure." You make friends really quick that way. So, in a crowd of 50,000 fans...I know a few of them when I leave. Oh and I do send the disc.

It's different however when I go out to dinner or lunch. I don't take pictures---I just eat.

So on to the photo above...

This picture was taken in downtown Chicago. I have no idea who the person is, I was not going to disturb his lunch, and he would likely have not been able to talk with the mouthful he was about to engage for a good one and a half minutes of chewing anyway. What struck me as funny was how he used the car as his table. I am 100% sure he did not own the car or know the owner of the car. I would like to see the face of the owner when they come back and find lettuce, tomato and other condiments on the passenger side.

I like taking pictures when people have no idea I am taking a picture of them. It might be a construction worker, a homeless person (I give them money after I take their photo), or just someone or a group of people doing normal activities. Like eating for example.

The next time you are out for a walk, pull out the digital camera from your purse, pocket or on your iphone. It's fun to capture the moment---to me that's what photography is all about. Whether you are with a crowd of people or just at a table for one.

It's lunch time, I think I will have a sandwich. Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment